LDAP–Enterprise Directory Service
The Penn State Directory service provides a searchable source of information about Penn State personnel, departments, groups, and roles.
The Penn State Directory is based on the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP). Identity Services runs the IBM Tivoli Directory Server, an LDAP-based directory server, to provide the Penn State Directory.
- Single directory for all Penn State personnel, departments, groups, and roles.
- Penn State students, faculty and staff are automatically entered into the directory without any action required by the individual.
Features and options
- “Official” and “Unofficial” Information Stored in LDAP (Classification of LDAP Information)
- Confidentiality Requests
Service Availability and Maintenance
To keep systems running at peak performance, and to ensure the best possible service, routine testing and maintenance are performed during the daily maintenance window from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. EST/EDT. During this time, systems and services may be affected. Unanticipated urgent service issues may require maintenance at other times. See Service Availability (add here) for more information.
There is no charge for this service.
IT professionals who establish LDAP client configurations and integrate applications with the Penn State Directory.
LDAP is used by Penn State faculty, staff, students, and designated affiliates, as well as the members of the general public who are searching for information related to Penn State personnel, departments, groups, and roles.
Support and Contacts
Penn State students, faculty, and staff may contact the IT Service Desk for questions about:
- Their individual Penn State Directory entry
- How to search for people or departments at Penn State
- How to change information for their directory entry on the ITS Secure Server.
- How to configure client software
- Any persisting questions regarding a Penn State digital service
Penn State employees may contact their HR representative to request changes to their official directory information.
IT staff needing assistance for integrating applications with the Penn State Directory Service may contact Identity Services.
Resources and Related Links
- Directory Field Descriptions
- Confidentiality Requests
- LDAP History
- Classification of LDAP Information
- Open LDAP
- IETF Datatracker: Search the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) database for LDAP related Request for Comments (RFC)
- Web-based search forms
- Policy AD11: University Policy on Confidentiality of Student Records.
- Additional information can be found at ITS Policies, Guidelines and Laws.