A Penn State Access Account is a digital identity for students, faculty, staff, and designated affiliates of the University. The electronic profile grants permissions to users for protected online University resources and services. Access Accounts provide access to the University community at all times, while maintaining a high level of security.
Each person with an Access Account is assigned a unique username of three letters paired with a series of digits (for example, xyz5002). A user ID is associated with only one individual and is never recycled. User IDs are used as a representation of an individual when logging in.
A password is used to ensure that the correct individual is logging in under the entered user ID. Coupled with a user ID, a password helps to complete the authentication process when gaining access to a service. A number of different systems and procedures are used for authentication of an identity, as well as determining the level of authorization an individual has in regard to the specific service.
The following forms are available for creating and maintaining an account:
- Allows Penn State faculty, staff, students, and designated affiliates of Penn State to securely interact with the appropriate Penn State services and gain access to necessary Penn State resources. Examples include University-based e-mail services, eLion, ANGEL (Penn State’s course management system), ITS computer labs, and other Penn State-affiliated resources.
- Various options are available to best suit the needs of person requesting access and Penn State.
Two types of Access Accounts are available to individuals, which will determine the number and types of services and resources available:
Additional accounts options are:
- All faculty and staff automatically qualify for a Full Access Account.
- All full-time students and part-time students registered for at least one credit automatically qualify for a Full Access Account.
- World Campus students have a separate standard in qualifying for an Access Account. Please refer to the World Campus Access Account and Information Technology Fee page for more information.
- Designated affiliates of the University may qualify for other account options through sponsorship by a University department.
- Sponsored Access Accounts (Slim): $3.00 per month
- Sponsored Access Accounts (Full): $8.00 per month
- Short-Term Access Accounts (Slim): $0.10 per day
- Short-Term Access Accounts (Full): $0.27 per day
- Short-Term Access Accounts: Initial setup fee applies
- Extension for Student Leave of Absence: $8.00 per month
There is no charge for other Access Accounts.
Availability and Maintenance
- 24 hours per day, seven days per week
- Service is automatically backed up daily
Request Service and Get Support
If you have questions about Access Accounts or want to request an Account, then email the Accounts Office or call by 814-865-4772.
The ITS Accounts Office is responsible for providing assistance to Access Account holders and resolving any problems related to Access Accounts. Each Penn State campus provides its own on-site computer support department, including the Hershey Medical Center.
For complete support information, see the Access Account Getting Support page.
For Identity Services support, see the IDS Support page.
If you are ready to create an access account:
- See the Account Creation page or
- Contact the appropriate office listed in the Getting Support page or
- Visit the appropriate signature station
Access Account Links
- Account Creation
- Account Activation
- Deactivation and Extension
- Signature Stations
- Getting Support
- Data Backup
- Risk Mitigation
- Short Term Access Account (STAA)
- Sponsored Accounts
- Friends of Penn State (FPS) Accounts Information
- Useful Links
- Access Account Application for Faculty and Staff
- Access Account Acceptance Statement
- ITS Charge Account
- ITS For-Fee Services Request
- Access Account Extension for Student Leave of Absence
- Proof of Identity of a Minor
- Internet Access Consent and Waiver
- Academic Services
- ITS Charge Account
- Update or Renew an ITS Charge Account
- Update an ITS Group
- Send Mass Email Request
- Short-Term Access Account Management
- Short-Term Access Account Distribution
Reports, Policies, and Guidelines
- Account and Passphrase Security
- ITS Policies, Guidelines, and Laws
- Use of Group Communication Tools to Communicate University Business to Employees and Students
- ITS Password Policy
- Access Account Password Management
- Authentication and Authorization for Penn State Applications
- Penn State Access Domain Configuration
- Identity and Access Management Final Report